CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 15, 2006

So, here is where we are at the moment in terms of Sadie coming home. Sadie's case is currently in PGN (kind of like the Attorney General's Office in Guatemala). She first entered PGN on May 11 so we hit the 5 month mark this week (boo!). Her case has been kicked out 3 times for a variety of issues (none on my paperwork--all on the Guatemala side). But, we last re-entered on September 6 and the cases seem to be averaging about 6 weeks till they get out. So, we will hit 6 weeks this Wednesday so I am hoping, hoping, hoping to get out this week!

Once that happens things usually move in a more predictable manner. Her birthmother will have to come in and sign off one more time on the adoption. Once that happens she is legally mine! After that a new birth certificate is obtained with my last name on it and then the lawyer applies for a passport for her. All of her paperwork gets translated to English and then it is submitted to the US Embassy. They issue some sort of paperwork which says I can adopt her (called a pink slip in layman's terms because it is on pink paper) and that will have an appointment time when I go to the US Embassy. This whole process usually takes about 3-4 weeks with the most unpredictable part being how long it takes to get the birth certificate. Once submitteed for pink the Embsassy is supposed to issue it within 48 hours. Typically the Embassy appointment is about 10 days from when pink is issued.

I will go to Guatemala the day before my Embassy appointment. I will have to wait till the day after for her visa to be issued and then I will be able to fly home the next day. So, 4 days total unless my appointment falls on a Friday...

So, that's the process from there! But, for now, we're just hoping and praying to get out of PGN this week! One step at a time!

2 comments:

Nichole Foster said...

t first I was worried I would not update like I should...lol. Sadie is a doll and I hope that you get out of PGN soon. Life is definately different once they are home.

Be blessed.

Nichole

Nichole Foster said...

oops soory a 3 yr old was helping me type. I was saying that the blog looks great. I hope you get out o PGN soon. And I was worried at first that I would not update... now go up to the first coment...lol